We are budget travelers at heart, so I am always on the lookout for good value vacation spots with kids. This is a continually updated list of the best family vacation deals that I have found, as well as pieces our family’s personal bucket list (I only list places that we have stayed at or that I would take my own family to).
Resorts and hotels with a price tag of hundreds of dollars a night are not budget friendly in my book. This list highlights the best family hotel deals, family vacation packages, family cruise deals and family airfare deals that I can find!
- Family Flight Deals
- Family Cruise Deals
- Destination Spotlight – Hawaii on a Budget!
- Family Hotel and Resort Deals
- Our Family’s Favorites
Flight deals change ALL THE TIME! Skyscanner watches 24/7 for the best family airfare deals for you so you don’t have to!
Here is a list (updated daily) with the very best flight deals RIGHT NOW!
Ever wonder what the best time is to book flights? Check out this informative article to find out!
- Find the best Memorial Day flight deals for 2018!
- Looking for great deals to Europe? You can often get a great deal on airfare to Europe by flying on WOW are and making a stopover in Iceland!
- Here are some other great deals on airfare to Europe! If you are looking to escape across the pond, your way out could be here!
- Family Airfare Deals- Under $100!
- Family Airfare Deals – Under $200!!
- Skyscanner’s Best Family Vacation Flight Deals Worldwide!
Cruises are another great family vacation deal. Cruising with kids can be a great way to see the world together while giving everyone a little breathing room (kids usually LOVE the kids club and activities offered on cruise ships).
- CARIBBEAN: This is a great deal! Half off of a second guest! Hot Deal! 5 Night Caribbean Cruises from $236 on Royal Caribbean, only at cruisedirect.com! 50% Off 2nd Guest, Plus Double Up Savings!
- BAHAMAS: We have always wanted to cruise on Norwegian! This is a great deal…10 Night Panama Canal Cruises from $979 on Princess Cruises, only at cruisedirect.com! Save Up To 35% , Plus EXCLUSIVE – Up to $1,000 to Spend Onboard!
- EUROPE: Costa is great for families! 10 Night Mediterranean Cruises from $740 on Costa Cruises, only at cruisedirect.com! Costa Exclusive Amenities, Plus EXCLUSIVE: 10% Off Shore Excursions!
- ALASKA: An Alaska cruise is always a good option for families…7 Night Alaska Cruises from $449 on Norwegian Cruise Line, only at cruisedirect.com! Up to $2,000 to Spend On Board, Plus Free Liquor Package!
- CARIBBEAN: MSC cruises are great for families (I have heard that kids sail free!) 7 Night Caribbean Cruises from $509 on MSC, only at Cruisedirect.com! Drinks Are On Us, Plus EXCLUSIVE – Up to $1,000 to Spend Onboard!!
- CUBA: Is Cuba on your bucket list? 5 Night Cuba Cruises from $359 on Carnival Cruises, only at cruisedirect.com! Up to $1,000 to Spend On Board, Plus Low Rates!
- MEXICO: Carnival has always been a great cruise line for us! Hot Deal! 4 Night Mexico Cruises from $229 on Carnival Cruises, only at cruisedirect.com! Up to $500 to Spend On Board, Plus Low Rates!
- PANAMA CANAL: A Panama Canal cruise is a great option for families! 10 Night Panama Canal Cruises from $979 on Princess Cruises, only at cruisedirect.com! Save Up To 35% , Plus EXCLUSIVE – Up to $1,000 to Spend Onboard!
Hawaii can be a very expensive place to travel, but the stunning landscapes and relative familiarity make this a bucket list trip for many families. The great news about Hawaii is that many of the best features of the islands including its amazing beaches are largely without cost.
I have scoured the internet to find the best value lodging deals in Hawaii. Some have a more “rustic” air to them, some are hostels (I ONLY include family friendly hostels that I would stay at with my own kids!) but ALL of these are seriously budget friendly!
The Beach Waikiki Boutique Hostel: This hostel is close to the beach and offers free breakfast and a neat rooftop bar that is fully enclosed (ie-high walls) with a fridge/microwave/counter top area. Private rooms are a great deal and come in a variety of bed configurations, including 3 bedroom suites that can accomodate 6-7 people.
Polynesian Hostel Honolulu: The location of this hostel is what really caught my eye. It is located at the south end of Waikiki Beach, super close to Kapiolani Park and the Honolulu Zoo (for us, accomodations near a park when traveling with kids are a no brainer!) Free breakfast, free beach chairs, and a large communal kitchen make this a solid bet for families.
Backpackers Village Inn and Hostel: If you are looking for something away from the busyness of Waikiki Beach, Oahu’s laid back North Shore is a perfect fit. Backpackers Village Inn and Hostel has a wide variety of accommodations (the ones away from the beach are the best deal for budget conscious families). The Plantation Village is located across the street from the beach. It features cabins with kitchens located on an acre of lush, tropical landscape (lots of room for the kids to run around and explore). This would be our first choice for this budget oasis.
Camp Mokulei’ia: If you are looking for a beautiful natural spot to slow down and reconnect with your kids in Hawaii, you will enjoy a stay here. This camp is located on the North Shore of Oahu on a pristine, unspoiled stretch of white sand beach, unmarred by resorts. They offer simple rooms, bunkhouse style cabins and “glamping” in canvas tents near the beach at really budget friendly rates.
Malaekahana Beach Campground: This place is a true bargain located on a beautiful stretch of Oahu’s North Shore. Accommodation options include small bunk house cabins that resemble the plantation huts that plantation workers used to sleep in (with separate, shared bathroom and shower facilities) and more elaborate suites with indoor toilet, a nearby outdoor shower and a cute front porch. With rates ranging from $60-$120/night, this is a budget traveler’s dream!
North Shore Hostel Maui: This cheap, clean hostel is located in Maui, not far from the airport. They offer private rooms (the largest are good for a small family, one double bed and a single, otherwise you will need two rooms) with shared bathrooms. They provide a free shuttle to the beach and from the airport for guests, as well as free breakfast for pocket friendly rates ranging between $69-$89. NOTE – the minimum age for kids is 6.
Cabins at Wai’anapanapa State Park: Basic accommodations that sleep 6 people for $90/night. Includes kitchen, living room, bathroom and one bedroom and a cute little front porch. Linens not provided. Wai’anapanapa State Park is a true Hawaii must – it has a beautiful black sand beach flanked by cerulean blue water.
Arnott’s Lodge: Arnott’s Lodge is located a little off the beaten path, close to nature and black AND white sand beaches on Hilo’s beautiful coastline. Rooms ranging from simple doubles to two bedroom suites for between $65-$160. Laundry facilities, onsite tours (with discounts for guests), fresh ground coffee and a great patio area round out the impressive amenities at this budget friendly favorite.
Hamuka Guest House and Camping Cabanas: The Hamuka Guest House and Camping Cabanas is an off the grid gem located not far from the coast and about 13 miles from the Hilo airport. This place is an amazing budget find offers bed and breakfast style rooms, a basic but clean river cabin and guest house and and super budget friendly “glamping” tents. All accommodations are between $49-$95/night. The guest houses and cabanas are surrounded by nature and the views are amazing. This would definitely be on our short list for when we visit the Big Island!
Namakanipaio Cabins at Volcano House: These budget friendly cabins are located in a fragrant eucalyptus grove and are great for families! They have one full sized bed and a set of twin sized bunk beds. Bathrooms are shared and located in the campground (no showers available). Linens are provided.
Cabins at Kokee State Park: This is a serious budget travel score, if you don’t mind accommodations that are a little rustic but right in the heart of a breathtaking natural paradise. There are various cabins (some seem more rustic than others) and you can’t beat the price at between $79-$129/night.
The Kalaheo Inn: This basic, budget friendly find is clean and conveniently located close to all major Kauai attractions. It is nestled in a lovely tropical garden setting (we always love staying in places where the kids have space to roam around and explore a bit). The hotel offers a huge range of rooms to suit nearly any family size. Rates range between $82-$156
The Camp Naue YMCA: This is a SUPER budget friendly back to basics option. At $20/person for a room in a bunk house, it doesn’t get much cheaper than this. The facility has a shared kitchen and bath facilities and plenty of space for the kiddos to run around. If your family is looking for a bargain and wants to have a rustic adventure in paradise, check this place out.
Kumu Camp: This is a great, reasonably priced “glamping” experience on the beach of Kauai. You can rent a bungalow with one queen or one full and a twin to sleep up to three people comfortably. The bungalows have private, hot water showers. You can fall asleep to the gentle ocean waves and wake to see the sunrise on the beach. Bungalows range between $55-$95/night depending on the time of the year. Sounds like heaven to me!
- DISNEY Discounts: Getting discounts one theme park tickets is not an easy feat. Here are some great Disney Package deals that you help save you money on this bucket list family vacation!
- Holiday Inn Express near Sesame Place: Free kids admission with each paid adult, kids eat free at Dine with Elmo. Book by April 30th 2018 for travel before September 3rd 2018.
- Great Wolf Lodge and Waterpark in Sandusky, OH: Stay 2 nights and get 25% off of your room rates (waterpark passes are included with your stay, suites available perfect for families.) This really is a good value if you are looking for a waterpark escape with the kiddos. Available 3/6-5/5, use promo code MOREFUN
- John Carver Inn (Near Thomasland and Edaville Theme Park outside of Boston): 1 night of accomodation, admission for 2 to Edaville (discount on additional tickets), breakfast for two and a special gift! This hotel also has an awesome, toddler friendly pool making this an easy to plan, all in one escape! Edaville opens April 7th for the 2018 season!
- The Sea Watch Resort in Myrtle Beach, SC: Great deals of up to 35% off for Sunday-Thursday stays. Direct access to a great beach, a beachside playground, two lazy rivers, 6 pools (two seasonally heated) and family friendly suites and condos should put this deal on your family vacation hot list!
- Rocking Horse Ranch – Highland, NY: This all inclusive ranch experience SEEMS a little on the pricey side (rates round $399/room/night when I checked) until you see all that it includes. The rate includes 3 meals per day plus snacks, an indoor water park, unlimited horseback riding (for a horse crazy kid this would be HEAVEN), children’s programs, sleigh rides (in the winter…) the list just goes on. This place looks like an AMAZING family vacation that will be filled with memories, located just 90 minutes from New York City.
- Holiday Inn and Suites North Beach – Virginia Beach, VA: This budget minded hotel is located right on beautiful Virginia Beach and the boardwalk. The hotel offers oceanfront rooms overlooking a great pool as well as a children’s activity center/program called Splash Kamp and a movie theater. Kids eat free at all Holiday Inn hotels (and the property offers a great package deal that will include breakfast for the adults.)
- Universal’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort – Orlando, FL: This is a budget winner in Orlando Florida! Great rates on rooms and family suites (I saw rates between $116-$156, varies by season). The resort has a great pool area with lazy river (and a bar for the adults). As a bonus, the resort is within walking distance of the Universal Theme parks AND your room gets you 1 hour early entrance into The Wizarding World of Potter and Volcano Bay.
- The Tyler Place Family Resort – Vermont: This summer fun resort really is a family winner. All inclusive pricing features your room/cottage, meals, bicycles for each family member (including baby seats), a dizzying array of activities for all ages (think boat rides, nature walks, campfires, trampolines, water park, arts and crafts, and so much more!. I love the parent’s nights out. The resort arranges adult activities and you can leave your kids with capable sitters (additional fee). This place doesn’t fit “budget friendly” at a quick look, but this really is a destination vacation where EVERYTHING is included.
- Park Vue Inn – Anaheim, CA (DISNEY!): The Park Vue Inn is right next to Disney Land. Great family rooms and suites featuring bed configuration to fit many family sizes as well as a hot breakfast and a Cold Stone Creamery onsite (this would be enough for my 5 year old right here…the HECK with Disney Land!) The hotel has a great patio area where you can see the nightly Disney fireworks display right at the hotel.
- The Lake Buena Vista Resort Village, Orlando FL: This all suite property offers one, two, three AND four bedroom suites! NO more trying to squish together into a room that really doesn’t fit your family or having to get two separate rooms and HOPING that they are near each other. The suites all have a full kitchen as well as a washer and dryer. The resort has a beautiful pool area with a kids area with a giant pirate ship as well as an organized kids program. This place could be a vacation destination in and of itself, so the included transportation to and from nearby theme parks is just the icing on the cake!
- Caribbean Vacation Packages: Here are links to a whole list of great vacation package deals for the Caribbean (some all inclusive including kids stay free and other bonuses).
- Hawaii Travel Deals: Is Hawaii on your bucket list? Hawaii can be SUPER expensive. Here are some great package deals for Hawaii to help make your Hawaii vacation dreams some true!
- Cozumel Palace (ALL INCLUSIVE): 45% off, kids and teens stay free, up to $1500 in resort credits. Book by April 1st, 2018 for travel before December 23rd, 2018.
- Club Med (ALL INCLUSIVE): Rates starting as low as $115 pp/per night (and kids under 4 stay free!). Book by May 1st, 2018 for travel before October 27, 2018.
- The Holiday Inn Resort, Baruna Bali: Bali is SOOO on the bucket list for us! This resort is located right on a beautiful beach and sits amidst a beautiful tropical garden with plenty of room for the kids to run around (always a big win in my book!) The resort has a stellar kids program where they keep your kids busy with a variety of activities (including cooking classes for you budding chef!)
These are all places that we have stayed and loved or places that are on our family travel bucket list!
- Holiday Inn Resort – Panama City Beach, Florida: A great value resort with a great water park and beautiful beach. Read our full review here.
- Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Orange Lake: This location is right outside of Disney, but with so much to do at the resort, it could be a vacation in itself! Multiple water parks and pools!
Holiday Inn Club Vacations, Galveston: We loved our stay at this laid back beach hotel. A full kitchen and easy beach access made this a relaxing vacation with kids.
- Locanda Samara, Costa Rica: We wished that we could have stayed here on our visit to Costa Rica. Samara beach is SUPER kid friendly and this hotel is really beautiful and right on the beach!
- Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay, Jamaica: This has been on our list for a couple of years now. The hotel is an all inclusive, kids stay free and it has a super shallow ocean in front protected by a man made island…perfect for toddlers!
- Hilton Hawaiian Village, Waikiki: A huge resort with a beautiful beach, a swimming lagoon with sea turtles (a great place for littles to swim and you to relax). The place is so big there is a tram to get around!
- Kelly Creek Hotel, Cahuita, Costa Rica: This little boutique style hotel on the east coast of Costa Rica got on our vacation radar when I saw the beautiful beach nearby and read on their website about all of the animals that visit their property. This is a really special place!
- Gram’s Place Hostel, Tampa FL: This place has piqued my interest for our travels this year. There is SO much to do in Tampa, and this is a kitschy, unique home base. They have a tiny room that is a great value for those that don’t mind roughing it a little (the kids will LOVE it – it has a cute little bunk bed and a skylight!)